With the golden crispy crust covering a creamy custard filling that melts in your mouth, egg tarts are as enchanting as a trip to Macau. Simple it might look, but it requires a lot of skills and techniques to bake successfully.
For professionals, that wouldn’t be such an issue. But for home cooks like us, those complicated methods are a pain in the neck. Knowing this, today we’ll give you the easiest recipe for the best egg tarts.
Get your apron and cook with us!
The Best and Easiest Egg Tarts Recipe
For the crust
- 500 g flour
- 275 g butter
- 3 g salt
- 250 ml water
For the custard filling
- 175 ml milk
- 5 g lemon zest
- 3 g salt
- 10 g sugar
- 1/2 vanilla fruit
- 3 large eggs
- 3 g corn starch
- 150 ml whipping cream
Make the crust
- Sift in all the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Add in 25g butter as well as 250 ml water.
- Use a mixer with a long whisk to blend everything well.
- Take the dough out.
- Sift some flour on the desk surface and roll the dough out thinly.
- Put 250g of butter in the middle of the rolled dough.
- Fold the dough and roll out once again.
- Repeat this one more time then ball up the dough.
- Cut two ends of the dough and put it in a bowl covered with a cling film.
- Place the bowl in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Take the dough out, sift flour on the desk surface, and roll the dough out thinly once again
- Divide the rolled dough into 6 parts.
- Then place them into the molds.
- Use your fingers to press the dough firmly against the bottom and the sides.
Make the custard filling
- First, place a pot on the stove and pour 175ml of milk in.
- Then add in 5g of lemon zest, 3g of salt, 100g of sugar, and ½ of a vanilla fruit.
- Only bring the pot to simmer (not boil).
- At the same time, whisk 3 large eggs in a bowl.
- After that, add water into a bowl of 3g corn starch.
- Then, pour the diluted corn starch mixture into the eggs’ bowl.
So, it isn't the kind of food you should eat frequently.
To wrap things up,
With the perfect combination of the crispy crust and the creamy custard, it’s understandable why so many people go crazy for this delicious pastry.
So, if you also a huge fan of egg tarts, follow our recipe above. But keep it in mind that eating these rich-fat tarts daily is a big NO for everyone. Eat healthy to be healthy!
Feel free to leave a comment if you still have any questions.